Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles









When the new TMNT movie came out this year, Ash insisted that we go. He planned the night, issued the invitations and ensured that everyone displayed the appropriate amount of enthusiasm (even those amongst us who weren't as turtle excited as he was). This isn't the first time we've indulged a friend's childhood passions returning to the big screen - when the last Muppet movie came out a few years ago we all traipsed to the cinema and though Kim was less excitable than Ash, it was no less adorable.

A few weeks prior to this movie date, I had spent a Friday night over at Ash and Kira's house and this meant that I was there for Saturday morning cartoons. I do remember watching Saturday morning cartoons as a kid, though I have never enjoyed them more as when I've watched them with Ash. I like that he bounds down the stairs like the big kid that he is and happily makes me a cup of tea. I like imagining that he tries to wake Kira up to watch them with him most weeks but she, smart girl that she is, whacks him with a pillow and goes back to sleep. I like seeing him enjoy Scooby Doo repeats and echoing lines about "pesky kids". It's great fun and a wonderful example of the occasional endearingly child-like antics that now fill my 'grown-up' life.

While watching cartoons this particular morning, I commented to Ash that I didn't really know a lot about TMNT. He looked at me askance. In fact, I had said, I couldn't remember ever really having watched it. He gaped. No, I was pretty sure I'd never seen it. That was it. He jumped up and pushed a pile of DVDs in my hands and I had my homework before me. I can't say that I watched the entire pile, but I did give it a go, and managed to work in a direct quotation a few days later which made him rather happy, so I suppose my homework was sufficiently attended to.

All of this is by way of explaining that when Ash's birthday came about recently, I was already pretty sure of what I was going to make him.


20141004 Ninja Turtle (3)


Pattern: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle by Nichole's Nerdy Knots
Materials: 4 Seasons Stallions; 100% Acrylic
Amount: stash amounts in green, tan, orange, and yellow
Hook: F/3.75mm
Start Date: 2 October 2014
Finish Date: 4 October 2014


It was a pretty quick project (though I was motivated by a deadline (I sewed in the ends, photographed, and wrapped the gift pretty much as I left the house) and nothing too complicated. I had a few issues with the yellow belly section for unknown reasons but I just eyeballed it and it worked out okay.


20141004 Ninja Turtle (5) 20141004 Ninja Turtle (4) 



Suitably informed that Michelangelo is the superior turtle I attached his orange bands and he was ready to go. I'm hoping he gets me off the hook for the three turtle movies I DIDN'T watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment